Skip to main content

REVIEW | Bywoods - rustic ambiance & modern mediterranean cuisine on St. Clair West

I'm not often in the St. Clair West area but every time I'm there, I wonder why I'm rarely there.  This under-rated neighbourhood is home to many delicious restaurants to be discovered, one of them being the recently visited Bywoods, a creation by Tony Cappellano of Boom breakfast chain.  This dinner-only restaurant offers a Mediterranean-inspired menu that isn't too traditional.




I'm kicking myself for not going to Bywoods during the sunny summer months when I walked passed their patio! I will need to keep it in mind next time we get such weather in Toronto.

The interior of the restaurant lives up to its name - it has a cozy yet modern feel, sort of like a renovated cottage in Muskoka. So, what's in the name? The name 'Bywoods' was inspired by the many streets in the surrounding neighbouhood with the -wood suffix: Humewood, Wellwood, Maplewood, Pinewood, Wychwood & Kenwood.

 I didn't know what to expect in terms of the food offerings as I haven't really heard much about this place. But, let's just say I left a happy camper, spoiled with delicious food, also beautifully presented.


 Prosciutto Pizza
Fig, gorgonzola & dressed arugula


Vegetarian Pizza
Goat cheese, leek, red pepper, grilled artichoke, tomato, red onion, black olive & fresh marjoram


Beet Salad
goat cheese, charred red onion, arugula & walnut dressing


Mediterranean Salad
Vine tomato, cucumber, red onion, black olives, feta cheese & marjoram


 Fried Calamari
served with piri-piri & aioli

Pan-seared scallops with chorizo
Avocado mash, mixed green, black olives & jus


 Linguine with Shrimp
Spiced light cream sauce & spinach


Grilled Flank Steak
Arugula, mushroom, cured tomato salad, salsa verde & jus


  Pan-roasted Lamb Sirloin
Apricot, potato puree with smoked paprika, sautéed spinach & moroccan spiced jus


Flourless Chocolate Cake

Bywoods would make for a perfect spot for a date with their casual yet elegant atmosphere or to catch up with an old friend.  Beet Salad, Shrimp Linguine & Prosciutto Pizza are the three dishes that I can't stop thinking about, so I suggest you give them a try when you make your way to the 'woods.'


  -Our meal at this event was complimentary but opinions are our own-

Bywoods on Urbanspoon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW | Schnitzel Hub

If vodka, Biergarten or Eastern European food means anything to you then Schnitzel Hub is the place you want to be. The diversity of cuisines has expanded in the St. Clair and Yonge area with Schnitzel Hub's second location.  Unlike the Schnitzel Hub's first location in Vaughan, this new spot offers a full bar, many more seatings for groups as well as a private dining area.   For vodka lovers, you'll be surprised to see some artisan house-infused vodkas at Schnitzel Hub with crazy flavours like lemon & ginger, candy, smoked bacon and even honey & chili pepper! I suggest you sip these infused vodkas to really taste the flavours.  Personally, I enjoyed the lemon & ginger but many others were raving about the horseradish! Now, onto the food offerings. This restaurant prides itself on creating homemade, authentic meals from Eastern an Central Europe with a focus on schnitzels.  I must say the portions here are very generous so it's a great spot to go for din...

REVIEW | HoneyButter - Decadent Macarons and more...

Who doesn't love desserts? We certainly do and that's why we were so excited to try out HoneyButter's   macarons!    HoneyButter is a private dessert company founded by Grace who offers a wide variety of desserts including cheesecakes, tarts, cupcakes cookies and of course macarons.  Anyone who likes to bake will tell you that baking is essentially a science. Proportions have to be exact or else the result turns out to be one of those "baking fails" that everyone laughs about. However, not all baking is created equally...cookies and breads tend to be on the easier side and then there are the macarons...in their perfect little shells just taunting you to attempt conquering them. Having tried and failed numerous times at making macarons myself, it's nice to know I can contact HoneyButter  to order some and know that when they arrive they'll look nothing like my own personal baking fail. The list of flavours for macarons is almost never ending and for HoneyBu...

REVIEW | CC Lounge & Supper Club

The first step inside the new CC Lounge & Supper Club on Yonge & Front will immediately draw your attention to their life-size gold-rimed birdcage, supple leather couches, wooden barrel tables and exposed brick wall - all meticulously designed to create the prohibition-era inspired atmosphere.  This Whisky specialty lounge provides guests a delicious menu full of comfort food as well as Whisky Tastings in their unique 'Whisky Tunnel.' The CC Lounge & Supper Club is quite spacious with lounge areas and the main bar at the front and more dining tables for groups and the infamous whisky tunnel towards the back of the restaurant.  The two spaces can be divided easily with velvet curtains, making it a great spot for groups and parties for special occasions. As I mentioned before, the decor is very eye catching! Beautiful swarovski crystal chandeliers are hung diagonally providing interesting light source and the exposed brick wall throughout the entire space stays true...